Friday 3 November 2006

An Introduction

This blog started life as my journal of the reflective process of formulating a 3rd-year MSc project for the University of Portsmouth's MSc in E-learning Technologies. Now it acts as my repository of thoughts recorded toward continuing professional development. Earlier posts may mix time tense but I know you'll forgive these.


I am interested in the use of icons in e-learning (specifically, but not exclusively in the medical field at the time of my studies) and wished to identify cultural differences that may confuse their meaning or sequencing in order to inform an aide memoir and future learning software projects. I worked then for a large organisation that employed a diverse selection of human resources from a range of backgrounds, cultures, and continents. Now I work for an elearning producer that delivers learning to a population exceeding 75,000!


The blog unavoidably touched on the sciences of semiotics and of linguistics and required some play with graphic design and it continues to grow in broader directions; of readability and genmeral layout for learning and a wider educational interest.


Research during the disertation required the exploration of learned cultural differences in the perception of meaning and examined the realm and historical causes of religious and ethnic offence. In the UK, 'political correctness' can and does staunch cultural, religious, and ethnic debate. Outwith my ethical considerations at University I realise that some cultural differences not only need discussion, but a healthy respect. For example, I'll bleat from a Western reading strategy of left to right where the same science and understanding will apply equally to those of right to left reading cultures. I just can't write for the World so forgive my indulgence on home turf.


I warmly welcome your comments on the subjects covered and your assistance in supporting my knowledge growth.


No comments: